What is the role of an Astronomer?
Observe, research, and interpret celestial and astronomical phenomena to increase basic knowledge and apply such information to practical problems.
Job Duties and Tasks for: "Astronomer"
1) Analyze research data to determine its significance, using computers.
2) Calculate orbits, and determine sizes, shapes, brightness, and motions of different celestial bodies.
3) Collaborate with other astronomers to carry out research projects.
4) Develop theories based on personal observations, or on observations and theories of other astronomers.
5) Measure radio, infrared, gamma, and x-ray emissions from extraterrestrial sources.
6) Present research findings at scientific conferences, and in papers written for scientific journals.
7) Study celestial phenomena, using a variety of ground-based and space-borne telescopes and scientific instruments.
8) Develop and modify astronomy-related programs for public presentation.
9) Develop instrumentation and software for astronomical observation and analysis.
11) Raise funds for scientific research.